BOA Member News June 2020
The 1st of June marked further easing of restrictions in New South Wales, as businesses re-open the state is open for business.
Changes to the Committee
Following last week’s announcement of Sarah Flynn stepping down as BOA President, there has been some necessary changes to the Committee. The current Committee members are:
- President: Samantha Pearce-Marmont, Hostelworld (previously Vice-President)
- Vice-President: Andrew Cowan, Millett Group (previously Committee Member)
- Treasurer: Campbell Shepherd, Lasoo (previously Committee Member)
- Hon Secretary: Sam Badans, YHA Australia
- Committee Member: Tristan Peters, Booking.com
- Committee Member: Sophie Brown, Ultimate Travel
- Committee Member: Jacob Waugh, AAT Kings
- Secretariat: Jamie Page
As always please do not hesitate to contact any of the Committee members if there is anything BOA can do to assist you through these challenging times or if there are any topics of interest you would like the industry pursuing.
Working Holiday Visa Fees and Extensions / JobKeeper Subsidy Extension for the Tourism Industry
The Committee has met on several occasions in recent weeks to discuss a submission to government on behalf of our members to lobby for:
- Reduction in Working Holiday Visa fees
- A one-year extension for Working Holiday Visa holders effected by the pandemic
- Extending the JobKeeper Subsidy for tourism businesses
- Developing a strategic plan to bring back Working Holiday Makers into the country safely and as soon as possible
BOA has also been working with the Backpacker Youth Tourism Advisory Panel (BYTAP) on the above issues, to help further give voice to our members and industry. We are in the process of developing a joint submission to approach government within the coming weeks. More details will be released as the action plan takes shape.
As always, we welcome further ideas for consideration to address the government. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Useful Resources: Business recovery assistance & COVID-19 safe workplace
- Letter of demand – If you are having problems receiving payment for an invoice
- Tourism recovery – Keep up to date with Destination NSW tourism recovery information
- Tools for tourism businesses in challenging times – Destination NSW quick tip resources
- Industry opportunities – Get Connected – Showcase your tourism products with Destination NSW
- Information for the workplace – Safe Work Australia work health and safety information
- COVID-19 resource kit – Safe Work Australia resource kit
- Develop COVID-19 cleaning procedures – The Australian Tourism Council cleaning resource